Security and data privacy are still a big issue in mobile world. Due to constant attacks breaking security forces, users have developed a mindset: mobile devices and mobile apps are vulnerable to attacks. Due to this, many mobile users are afraid of online banking, online shopping and others as such transactions are asking for personal bank account information. Now it’s up to you to prove this mindset a myth.
Technology is touching great heights. Nothing is impossible. If we can create an app that can solve multiple issues of users, we can also create a security lock to secure that app. With this thinking, let’s start learning key skills required to seal the app with security bolts.
1. Go beyond the App Development : Don’t just work to create a product. Work to create a secure product. Revitalize your thinking to fill it up with new ideas. Go beyond the limits of app development and think like what you will like to have in your app in terms of security. Put yourself in place of app owner and think like him.
2. Be a hacker : Not to hack someone else’s app, but to hack your own created app. Think like a hacker to find out the ways a hacker can hack your app. Close these ways with your strong security doors.
3. Rough Work : Develop a bad version of app first. Not forcefully, but naturally (be irresponsible for a while). Insert whatever comes to your mind. Analyze your rough work and learn from your mistakes. Think about usage of your app in both cases – the bad one and the good one. Once you decide which one is better, prepare basic security elements to place within.
4. Discover New Tools : It’s not like that mobile app developers are not even looking at security measures. Their each app is secure from many sides. But the problem is constant updates in Operating System with new features. Obviously, if features are new, their security demands will also different. That’s why you have to be up-to-date with your security elements to fight with new threats entering through new systems.
Tech messiahs daily introduce new tools that can add to your efforts to lessen them. Use your existing tools and keep looking for new tools.
5. Secure Design : Each app has eight security controls with 755 common risks. It’s impossible to deal with all. Better to avoid from beginning.
Understand your design and analyze it to find out ways to make it more secure. Keep a mindset of security while designing. If you found it difficult, then switch to another design that has security as its best friend.
6. Vulnerability Trend : Every now and then, I read about new vulnerabilities enter to mobile device. There is the beginning, but no end. Alert yourself with recent vulnerability trends. Also, don’t forget to get aware of Operating System in which the vulnerability enters the most.
7. Team Up with Vulnerability Saviour : Of course, you are a best developer, but security is not in your wheelhouse. Security professionals have their own theory when it comes to secure an app. Their thinking has a good match with hackers, that’s why they create a strong barrier between hackers and app. You can team up with them to get security ideas or the best way is to hire them to get 100% advantage of their knowledge.
8. Experiment with App : Sometimes when we are too afraid of something which has not yet taken place, but we get vibrations of such things going to take place in future. We feel like what if it happens? App development is a perfect place to use your fear. Think like what if hackers enter to app? What happen if users know that someone is stealing their information through your app? Your fear will give birth to creativity that you can use in security matters. Warning: Don’t overdo it.
I am not a security professional, but can say that one must have above skills to become so. If you are a security expert, I would like to hear some more skills from you to add in my article and to create awareness for the same. Don’t forget to share your ideas in comment box.